- Welcome to 2016!
- VIP Mastermind Conference
- Healthy Seasonal Recipe: Pearl Barley and Winter Veg Soup
- Article of the month: Three Tips To Make 2016 Your Best Yet
- And Finally… A Superb Cycling clip
Hello healthy people,
Welcome to 2016! January is the traditional month of resolve, and I’ll be delivering a motivational talk at the inaugural VIP Mastermind conference mid-month. It will be a fab event with a very interesting variety of workshops to get you working towards your 2016 goals. Coco may even make a guest appearance (see photo below).
Healthy Seasonal Recipe: Pearl Barley and Winter Veg Soup
Warming and sustaining, this soup is perfect for transporting in a thermos for an outdoor adventure, add more water to make it an easier drinking consistency.
1 onion, finely chopped
2 – 3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp rapeseed / olive oil
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 medium potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
1 carrot, cubed
1/2 head broccoli, cut into small florets
1 L vegetable stock
1 Tbsp tomato paste
100 mL leftover white wine (optional – I freeze leftover wine for cooking)
100g pearl barley
Fresh parsley or coriander, to garnish- Saute onion and garlic in a medium pan until translucent.
– Add chopped vegetables and stir for a few minutes.
– Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for 45 minutes. You can add more water to thin the consistency.
– Serve garnished with fresh herbs.
Article of the Month: Three Tips to Make Your 2016 the Best Yet
1. Work towards a goal. Start small (the opposite of what many do!), and build up your fitness gradually. For example, you need to be comfortable with ‘steady state’ aerobic exercise before attempting time-saving HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). If you don’t know what I’m talking about, then get reading about fitness or book in with me, and I’ll show you how to improve your fitness level efficiently.
2. Be patient. You don’t put on weight overnight, nor do you lose it overnight. This is why a sustainable and enjoyable exercise programme is important. You need to build up your fitness to lose body fat and to move more easily. The more you learn about your body, the more interesting a process this is.
3. Remember, good nutrition and hydration are essential for any effective exercise programme. A food diary may help you get on track, plan your meals and pack healthy snacks forwork to make it easier. Drink lots of water!
And Finally: A Superb Cycling clip
Danny Macaskill strikes again – this is an absolutely awesome 5 minute clip that will make you wish for cycling in the sun…
Have a happy and healthy start to your year,