I’ve just learned that walnuts go rancid very quickly, so if you have some lurking at the back of a cupboard, try this recipe for making them edible, even delicious.
1 cup walnuts, shelled
1 tbsp your preferred cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Pop the walnuts into a baking dish.
– Roast walnuts for 8 – 10 minutes, stirring halfway through, until fragrant and lightly browned.
– Tip onto a clean tea towel, bundle them up and rub vigorously. This gets rid of some of the bitter brown skin.
– Tip nuts into a sieve and shake to remove walnut skin-dust.
– Return rubbed nuts to baking tray, with 1 tbsp oil and salt and pepper.
– Return to oven for 2 – 3 minutes.
– Drain oil from nuts on kitchen towel and enjoy hot or cool.
– Store in an airtight jar in the fridge and use within a week. Snack on them, enjoy sprinkled on a salad, or on a cheeseboard with sliced apple and blue cheese.
– You can experiment with different flavourings.